Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Running the B’lore 10K

I woke up early two Sundays ago (May 23, 2010). I hate waking up early, especially on Sundays. But, I chose to participate in Bangalore’s Sunfeast 10K, so I had no choice. I dragged myself out of bed, tied that timing chip to my shoes, and hoped that I won’t end up sleep walking.

My dad was kind enough to drop us (two of my cousin’s also ran). He figured we shouldn’t walk to the venue cause we could use that energy! When we arrived at Kanteerava Stadium, the start point for the 10K, I was shocked. I had heard from friends that the B’lore run had a quite a turn out, but seriously, there were like a zillion people. (I confirmed next day that approx 24,000 people showed up for the World, Open 10K and Majja Run together.) Maybe they were spectators?

Nope. They were also enthu runners like us. The race started as scheduled at 8:10 am. But by the time I got out of the stadium it was 8:25. Yes, 15 mins to cover maybe 500 meters, worse than a snail’s pace. For what its worth, I should mention that the chip timing didn’t start until we crossed the start line which was placed strategically, so the crowd was probably responsible for ruining my time by only 4-5 mins.

And so I ran. The first kilometer felt like trying to make your way on crowded Commercial Street (for non-Bangaloreans that is a prevalent shopping street in B’lore). To save myself from the risk of tripping over somebody, I also strolled with the crowd. Then slowly the participants got tired, began to walk, took water breaks, and finally the crowd eased up. I ran for the most part, took a break to greet my Dad and Ira (my Irish Setter dog) and then twice for water. I missed most of the mile markers so my pacing strategy from Runner’s World basically didn’t work!

Finally I finished. It wasn’t bad at all. I won’t swank my timing here, but I’m happy I finished before 70 percent of the others. And so it was… one more experience to remember. And maybe a step closer to the half marathon that I’m targeting next fall?

Some interesting observations during the run:

  • Bangalore is getting fitter
  • The fitness industry and sport shoes/clothes manufacturers will really milk this (relatively fresh) market
  • Nike sponsored the event, and on-the-side completed their own little research exercise about the popularity of their brand
  • iPods have become the running companion of choice
  • The cheapness of some men spectators still exists – if you know what I mean!
  • We wasted a shit-load of plastic from those 100ml Kingfisher water bottles
  • Bangalore’s Cubbon Park is charmingly green
  • Lastly, Bangalore needs it’s own half marathon

And oh, there were these old couples (70ish) who were running together – being fit, at that age, and supporting each other through the run – totally adorable!


2 comments:

  1. Interesting you talk about the ipods during these runs. In most Marathons around the US, iPods or other music players and earphones are not allowed as an injury prevention measure.

    When I go for my practice runs here in Madison, I am surprised as to how much of a difference it makes to have a player on and not. When you have the bikers going on the same bike trails that we are running on, it is really important to watch and listen while you run. You are bound to get run over if you don't pay enough attention to the faster bikers zipping through the tracks.

    Yes, to a certain extent, the music distracts your brain and takes the boredom out of your run. But at the same time, the runners who go beyond an hour are trained to keep their mind idle and not think of anything (which is the most relaxed state of mind). It's about training your mind.

    Point noted though; Apple and Nike are going to like the numbers they see coming out of the Indian market.

    Nice job wih your run :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Hubby to be - training the mind is tougher than training the body. I know you are working hard towards your Chicago Marathon - good luck! I'll cheer for u from a different continent!

    ReplyDelete

Have any thoughts? Please share your comments/suggestions/concerns/questions below.