Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I did HTML!

P.S: I don’t enjoy reading code or trying to make sense of it.

So I thought that editing the template that I chose for this blog would be easy... apparently, not so easy! What I wanted to do, was expand the 2 column posting area and minimize the brown wrap on the sides. I started off playing with the HTML code and changing the width of the header, body and footer. By the way, the template's name is Scribe. I was successful to the extent that I was able to expand the posting area, but the main wrapper was not expanding accordingly, it was only adding white space.

After some futile attempts, yet not wanting to give up, I googled for help. And I found some helpful ideas from other bloggers like this guy. They didn’t have the solution, but they pushed me in the right direction. So I combined some of their suggestions along with my own intuition from playing with the code. I had to resize the image that I have in my header, but that was the least of my problems.

Ah well, after 3 hours of trial and error, I was able to get the look I wanted. I would have settled for less, but obsession is kind of my problem – I can’t quit until it looks the way I want it to.

Lesson learnt: I can manage HTML. I might struggle, but I can do it!

And I probably need to start paying more attention to the content of the blog than the appearance!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any thoughts? Please share your comments/suggestions/concerns/questions below.